Pages

Sunday, February 28, 2016

My picks for the 2016 Oscars

The Oscars are tonight. I’ve always quite liked the Oscars, in spite of all the reasons not to. This year I decided to guess the winners. Here are my picks:


Picture
Revenant
Director
Iñárritu
Actor
DiCaprio
Actress
Larson
Supporting Actress
Vikander
Supporting Actor
Stallone
Original Screenplay
Big Short
Adapted Screenplay
Spotlight
Score
Hateful Eight
Song
Til It Happens to You
Sound Editing
Mad Max
Sound Mixing
Revenant
Hair and Makeup
The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out of a Window and Disappeared
Costume Design
Carol
Production Design
Martian
Cinematography
Revenant
Documentary Feature
Amy
Documentary Short
Chau
Live Action Short
Stutterer
Animated Short
Sanjay's Super Team
Animated Feature
Inside Out
Foreign Language
Mustang
Editing
Mad Max
Visual Effects
Mad Max


My methodology was to look at some other people’s picks, and go with the consensus. Where there were ties, I broke them in a few different ways. In the categories where hardly anyone will have seen the nominees, I went for the one rated by the most people on IMDB.com. I went for Mad Max over Star Wars in a couple of technical categories because I thought people might be a bit ashamed to vote for Star Wars. I went for Carol over The Danish Girl for costumes, and The Martian over Mad Max for production design, because Carol and The Martian went down pretty well and voters might want to make sure they got something, while Mad Max and The Danish Girl are probably winning in other categories. The only one where I overruled the professionals altogether was makeup, because I couldn’t think of a way of breaking the tie and I read somewhere that the 100 Year Old Man has pretty impressive old-person makeup. Also I really liked the book.

I’m looking forward to finding out how I did. If you think my picks are stupid, tell me why in the comments!  

No comments:

Post a Comment